Thursday, November 03, 2005

...KITE...

It takes a lot to let go of someone you love. Perhaps I was selfish, clinging on the way I did. He was my first love, the only love I knew. Yet we were drifting apart, growing into different people, becoming less and less a part of each others’ lives. Andrew and I both felt it, and slowly things began to change. The phone calls stopped, the little meetings halted, even the smiles exchanged disappeared.

But I would not let go. I couldn’t.

Kite Field was a small plain just outside of Maryford, the little town I reside in. since the cracks began showing in our relationship, I often sat on the edge of the field, thinking. Kite Field got its nickname from the numerous kites that littered it; occasionally, the townspeople would fly their kites there, though the sight was becoming rare.

Sometimes I would see a little girl flying her kite on the field, her raven-black hair flitting in the direction of the wind, a hint of laughter in her eyes, as she pulled the string of her diamond kite. I was never there long enough to watch what she did with her kite, however. But, funny enough, I found out about that later on.

It was another one of those cloudy afternoons, and there I was again, under the weeping willow on the edge of the field, deep in thought. It was then the odd little girl appeared again, running across the field with the diamond kite trailing behind her, chanting her little song:

“Where did the kite just fly off to?
A blink of an eye and off it flew
Who cut its string and let it go?
Tell me, do you know?”

In my own opinion, the song was a bit cheesy, but hearing her sing it made me smile, one of my firsts since the problems with Andrew arose. Once again, I was in my own world when I heard the girl calling out.

“Hello there, you!”

I looked up, startled. The girl was looking back, expectantly, and I glanced around me to make sure it was myself she was calling out to. “Me?”

She chuckled. “Yes, you! Can you do me a favour?” she yanked the string of her now flying kite and gestured at it. “I have to head home, so why don’t you take my kite for me?”

I stood up and walked toward her, slightly baffled as she passed the string to me. It was then I could tell the kite was homemade. “But why don’t you just let it come down?” I asked.

“What? It’s only been up for ten minutes!” the girl cried childishly. “I’m Aimi, by the way.”

“Kate, nice to meet you. So… erm, I’ve got to get going soon, as well. What to do with it?”

“Well, you could take it down and bring it home,” Aimi said with a shrug. “I’ve got a dozen at home, it doesn’t matter.” She looked up at the kite, wistfully. “But it would be such a pity to rob it of its freedom…” she said softly, half to herself. She turned back to me, smiling. “So, I’ve seen you around quite a bit.”

“Yes… well, I’ve been doing some thinking,” I found myself saying. I immediately felt stupid; I was actually confiding in a little girl. This was embarrassing.

“Oh? About what? Come on, tell me?”

“It’s nothing…” before I knew it, I practically spilled the entire story ro her, about Andrew and our drifting apart. Aimi simply smiled, as if she knew something I did not. She listened to the end, then glanced down at her watch.

“Argh! I’m late for tea! Mother will have my head,” Aimi squeaked, waving to me as she hurried off. “Goodbye Kate!”

“Sorry to keep you,” I said with an apologetic smile.

She was half an half on her way when she turned to face me, again with that hint of laughter in her eyes. “Or you could let it go and free it, Kate!”

“What?” I yanked at the kate tentatively, watching its tail of coloured ribbons flirt with the wind.

“The kite,” Aimi said with a knowing grin. “You could let it go and free it. After all, it doesn’t belong to you.” With that, she skipped off, humming that silly song again.

I watch again as the kite soared amongst the clouds, looking free and perfectly happy. Yet, I wondered, why did it seem so trapped? The wind captured the kite again, and the string tightened around my fingers, almost snapping. It almost reminded me of Andrew; wanting to let go but never allowed to. Suddenly, it hit me.

‘You could let it go and free it. After all, it doesn’t belong to me.’

Andrew. Aimi was talking about Andrew. It all made perfect sense now.

‘But it would be such a pity to rob it of its freedom…’

Could I? My eyes filled with tears at the very thought. Letting Andrew go like that, I looked at the diamond kite once more. It stayed where it was, its tail flagging hopefully.

I undid the string from my fingers, and released it.

Doing so was like lifting weight off my shoulders. The kite soared higher than it ever did, looking majestic and freer than before. I knew I was not only releasing Andrew, I was releasing myself. I finally understood, and I had to smile through my tears. I had finally let go.

And I know, thanks to Aimi, that I was going to be just fine.



[J]in [L]in
*this is not my compo.. someone else de.. just find it very interesting.. so typed it out.. hahaz.. hope u guys enjoyed it bah..*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home